Manual of Style
The Manual of Style is a style guide for all articles on the A Court of Thorns and Roses Wiki. Anyone can edit the wiki, and it important to note that the wiki needs to be consistent for people to read.
This guide establishes a house style for the wiki. This is to help editors produce articles with consistent layout, language, and formatting.
Don't worry if you find this page confusing, or if you are unsure of how to format parts. This isn't a set of rules, if you are unable to follow this then that's fine. Just be aware that your edits might be adjusted by an admin/different user to fit this guide.
Title of the articleEdit
- The article title should be clear and concise. For each article, the most common name should be used. For example, instead of Sarah Janet Maas as the title, use Sarah J. Maas as this is more commonly used.
- If the name of the character/location/etc is conjectural then use a short description as the title. This description must be concise and clear. For example, instead of "Unnamed Blue-skinned faerie from the Summer Court", use the title "Blue-skinned faerie".
- It is not always possible to use a desired title for an article because it has different meanings, and thus is being used by a different article. If this occurs, add additional meanings to the title. For example: A Court of Thorns and Roses (film).
- Use sentence case, not title case. For example, Feyre's mother, not Feyre's Mother.
- Use singular form. For example, Mortal, not Mortals.
Sarah J. Maas originally wrote the A Court of Thorns and Roses series in American English and thus this wiki should also be written in this language. This is to create a consistent wiki with consistent spellings. See Comparison of American and British English on Wikipedia for more information.
Point of viewEdit
Neutral Point of ViewEdit
All encyclopedic content on this wiki must be written from a neutral point of view' (NPOV), which means you should write fairly, proportionately, and, as far as possible, without editorial bias.
This means that you should avoid including any of your personal opinions such as 'I love Rhysand' or 'I hate Tamlin the tool', or 'I think'. Instead state facts, and be neutral while you write.
Write in third person. Every article on the wiki (besides pages like this one) should be written in third person. While you write, use he/she pronouns instead of 'I' or 'you'.
In-universe and Out-of-universeEdit
There are two types of pages on this wiki:
- In Universe - articles directly part of the A Court of Thorns and Roses world. (For example: Prythian, Feyre Archeron, Winnowing, Siphon).
- Out of Universe - articles about real-world topics. (For example: Sarah J. Maas, A Court of Thorns and Roses, Bloomsbury Publishing)
In an 'In Universe' article, you should write in an in-universe perspective. This means you should imagine that the events of the novel have happened, and you are an archivist who lives through the events as they occur and documents them. You should avoid writing, 'Rhysand is a fictional character in the A Court of Thorns and Roses series' and instead write 'Rhysand is the High Lord of the Night Court'.
Also avoid saying, "This happens at the end of A Court of Thorns and Roses" and instead actually state what happened as if it were real.
Save for the occasional mention of out-of-universe elements in infoboxes, categories, and the "Trivia" and "References" section, the rest of the article should be (mostly) in-universe.
While an out-of-universe article such as Sarah J. Maas will be written from a real-world point of view. This is the opposite of an in-universe article as it is written from "our" perspective, and there is acknowledgement that the characters and locations in the series are fictional.